What simply is photography? Photography is nothing more than clicking photographs. Or is it? Well, it may sound like a piece of cake but photography, in its true sense is an art which needs to be studied in order to gain the required expertise in this field.
Moving on to fashion photography, it can be considered to be a genre of photography which mainly focuses on clicking wonderful pictures of clothing and other fashionable items.
So, do you want to dress up and feature yourself in one of the fashion magazines? Search for Lazada voucher codes or maybe Jebelz coupon codes and equip yourself with the best fashionable clothing and get ready for a shoot.
Fashion photography today, has grown to be one of the most innovative genres of photography and also has high concepts tagged to it. Let us take a closer look at this wonderful genre of photography.
Fashion photography was first seen in American and French magazines like Harper’s Bazaar and La mode pratique among many. It was in 1909 that fashion photography first started coming up by contributions of The Vogue magazine.
Ever seen the front page of The Vogue? That’s exactly what fashion photography means. For those who haven’t seen, fashion photography deals with displaying exotic clothes and fashionable attire that is enhanced by beautiful photoshoot locations.
This genre of photography is often used to design advertisements or cover pages for magazines which talk about fashion. In addition to this, e-commerce giants use fashion photography to enhance the look of their fashion category.
So there are wide applications and nowadays with new innovations, this genre is simply skyrocketing. Looking forward to dressing for a shoot? Search for Light In TheBox Promo Codes and equip yourself with the trending fashion attires.
Fashion Photography Styles
- Editorial: This style mainly aims to illustrate or convey an idea or a story through visuals. They are generally featured in cover pages and magazines as full-page photographs and try to suggest a back story behind the visual.
- Beauty Editorial: This style mainly focuses on the makeup, hairstyle and jewellery of the model and is less aimed towards the outfit. Generally, a beauty editorial aims to highlight the face and the top half of the editorial. An example could be a close-up image of the face of a model trying to highlight the jewellery.
- Catalogue: This style can be termed as simple fashion photography, having a plain and simple background and is mainly used by e-commerce platforms to advertise their wardrobe.
- Lookbook: This style of photography is to show the different ways to dress up. These are often taken with a background which one comes across every day.
- Street Style: This style is often used by fashion bloggers who often take portrait images of strangers in streets who are well dressed. So basically these are taken in normal spontaneous situations and look very natural as these are not planned shoots.
- Outfit of the day: This is a new modern trend which has started in the new generation to take pictures for personal enjoyment and not for marketing. This is nothing but simply posing before the camera in a fine location just because maybe it’s a nice occasion to capture. This is something new and has been very popular in social media with people taking it to Instagram to show their innovations.
A Fashion Photographers Toolkit
Planning to start with fashion photography? Here is your guide to the perfect toolkit. For a perfect photoshoot, you would need a light meter, moonlights, beauty dish, ring light, tripod, reflector and more importantly a camera. This is when you have a studio and plan to shoot there itself.
Tips to start with fashion photography
If you are looking to start with the new gen fashion photography and are looking for some tips, you are at the right place:
- Try to build your network add new connections in the fashion industry
- Try to get feedback on your works by photographers and also using social media
- Try to build a fashion portfolio by creating a website on fashion photography. Also, try to have a physical portfolio rather having digital copies
- Try to be familiar with software like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom to add that final touch to make your photos look glamorous.
- Practise well. Before anything, try to take your friends to photoshoots and click amazing shoots so that they can be used for future references.